Saturday 10 October 2020

SWEETCORN RELISH/CHOCOLATE AND BANANA BREAD

It's been an odd week or so as His Nibs was off and things are never quite the same when he's around.  I'm so out of kilter, it's untrue.  He went back a week ago and it's taken me this week to crack on and get up to date in the house and garden. But I have managed to sort a fair amount out with regards to seedlings, bulb planting, tidying the shed and prepping for next year.

Kitchen wise, I'd done no baking for about 3 weeks and was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms, so a quick chocolate and banana bread (recipe below) was made on one of the nights I couldn't sleep, which seems to be every other day at the moment (too many things running around in that brain of mine). 


Not me, but definitely how I envision myself
😉


I'll be preserving over the next few weeks and deciding what I'm cooking for Christmas and Halloween.  Both of which are not far away at all.

This week: 

SWEETCORN AND PEPPER RELISH

6 x sweetcorn cobs; stripped and nibs removed.
1 x large onion, finely chopped
3 x sticks of celery, finely chopped
2 x red peppers, also finely chopped
1 pint (0.56 litres) of apple cider vinegar *
0.5lb (250g) granulated sugar
1tbsp mustard powder
0.5tbsp salt

Hot, sterilised jars with good secure lids.  I use kilner type jars, but sterilised jam jars will be fine.

This is such an easy relish to make and the jars will keep for up to a year without heat treating. Great with burgers, hot dogs or just on the side.

1. Prep your veg.
2. Put all the ingredients into a large pan and bring to the boil, ensuring the sugar has dissolved.
3. Simmer for 40-60 mins until the sweetcorn is cooked and the sauce is thick.
4. Pour into your jars, pushing down to ensure there are no air bubbles and seal. I put a piece of greaseproof over mine, but it isn't necessary.
5.  Allow to cool and check seals.  It's ready to use straight away, but it's best left to mature for a while.

* I use cider vinegar as I'm gluten free, but white malt vinegar or any of your choosing will work.



CHOCOLATE AND BANANA BREAD

150g plain flour (I use Doves Gluten Free)
2.25tsp baking powder (again I use gluten free)
0.5tsp salt
0.5tsp ginger powder
50g cocoa powder (not instant hot chocolate)
75g butter or marg
115g caster sugar
3 very ripe bananas (turning black is the best)
2 eggs (beaten)

Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas4/350F and grease and line a 21cm x 11cm loaf tin.

1. Mash the bananas in a bowl with either a fork or a potato masher, leaving some larger lumps if you want.
2. In another bowl, tip all the other ingredients in and beat together, either with an electric hand whisk or a wooden spoon and lots of elbow.  Make sure there are no lumps of butter/marg.
3. Stir in the banana until combined and pour into the loaf tin.
4. Bake for 50-60 mins or until wooden skewer comes out clean.
5. Leave to cool for 15mins then turn out and leave to cool completely.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment